The benefits of carrots are no doubt magical. The delicious, sweet and tasty carrots are one of the ten most economical and healthiest food of the world.
Carrot is actually a root of plant daucas carrota and is native to south Asia and European countries. It varies in colors from red to orange and even in purple, yellow and white Color carrots are available. Usually, they are available in all seasons of the years but they are cultivated in summer or fall.
List of Contents
- 1 How to Buy and Store Carrot?
- 2 Nutritional Value of Carrots:
- 3 Benefits of Carrots:
- 3.1 1. Cardiovascular Benefits:
- 3.2 2. Prevents Cancer:
- 3.3 3. Helps in Digestion:
- 3.4 4. Prevents From Strokes:
- 3.5 5. Beneficial in Menstruation and After Menopause:
- 3.6 6. Benefits of Carrots During Pregnancy:
- 3.7 7. Makes Your Bones Strong:
- 3.8 8. Cleanse and Detoxify the Body:
- 3.9 9. Prevents Aging:
- 3.10 10. Boost Immune System:
- 3.11 11. Good for Dental Health:
- 3.12 12. Good for Eyes:
- 4 Beauty Benefits of Carrots:
How to Buy and Store Carrot?
Carrot is a biennial vegetable. Biennial plants complete their life cycle in time period of two years but the carrot is harvested early rather than waiting for its botanical life cycle. Carrots can be stored for months.
While buying carrots always go for the fresh looking young carrot with bright colored roots. Avoid buying carrots with Soft and flabby roots as they have poor edible quality.
Extra-long carrots and hard ones are the sign that carrots are harvested at maturity. They will give harsh taste and will not be edible as well.
Before using always wash them well to clear the dirt on them. Always cut them from the bottom part first and store them in the refrigerator for not more than two weeks.
Nutritional Value of Carrots:
Carrots are rich in dietary fibers, vitamins A, vitamins C, Vitamins K, folate, potassium, manganese and is also a good source of thiamin, niacin, and vitamins B 6.
Carrots are also rich in antioxidants and have very low or no amount of fats. Cooked carrots have more amount of antioxidants than raw ones as when cooked they release antioxidants.
Per 100 grams of carrots contains only 41 calories which make them a low-calorie food.
Benefits of Carrots:
Carrot is one of the top ten healthiest food. Imagine the tons of benefits it offers. Here are some of them for you.
1. Cardiovascular Benefits:
The variety of antioxidants and polyacetylenes present in carrot are an excellent protective shield against heart diseases. Carrots are also rich in Beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, and lutein which are heart friendly. The antioxidants in carrots prevent cells from oxidative damage.
The food is also rich in dietary soluble fiber which lowers bad cholesterol in the body. So the regular eating of carrots also keeps blood pressure in control.
2. Prevents Cancer:
Studies have shown that carrots are effective against some types of cancers.
Carrots have polyacetylene antioxidant, falcarinol which destroys precancerous cells in tumors hence significantly reducing the risk of cancer. Carrots can fight against lungs, breast, and colorectal cancers. Studies even say that carrots can reduce the risk of lung cancer by 50%.
3. Helps in Digestion:
As carrots are high in fiber they aid in digestion. They help to regulate bowel movements and prevents constipation.
It is the same thing like we have read in benefits of banana.
Besides keeping digestion in regularity fiber in carrots also aids in weight loss.
4. Prevents From Strokes:
Researches have shown that people who eat six carrots a week, tends to suffer less from strokes than those who only eat one in a month.
5. Beneficial in Menstruation and After Menopause:
The phytoestrogen in carrot helps to relieve menstrual pain in women. It also regularizes bleeding from heavy flow to normal.
Carrot is also effective in postmenopausal as it removes hot flushes and other symptoms of menopause.
6. Benefits of Carrots During Pregnancy:
Carrots are the real treat for pregnant women as they do not only helps in the development of fetus but also lowers the risk of miscarriage.
Another super benefit of carrots in pregnancy is that regular consumption of carrots is helpful in breast milk production.so they are the perfect diet for pregnant women.
7. Makes Your Bones Strong:
Carrots contain calcium that is helpful in the development of bones in women and children. Carrots also make bones strong.
8. Cleanse and Detoxify the Body:
Carrots are rich in vitamins A which helps the liver in flushing out toxins from the body. It detoxifies and cleanses your body. It helps in accumulation of bile and fat in the liver. The high amount of fiber in carrots helps in cleansing Colon and aids in waste elimination from the body.
9. Prevents Aging:
The antioxidants in carrots help in slowing down cell damage and even reverse it. It reconstructs and maintains the health of cells and prevents them from oxidative damage hence carrots are the best natural anti-aging miracle of Mother Nature.
10. Boost Immune System:
The regular consumption of carrots helps our body to form a protective shield from daily metabolic damage. Carrots are rich in nutrients and strengthen your immune system.
11. Good for Dental Health:
Yes, carrots could be the reason behind shiny teeth and million dollars smile.
Carrots are rich in minerals that kill bacteria in the mouth. Carrots help in the formulation of saliva which balances the ph. of mouth and kill the acid or cavity forming bacteria hence prevents tooth decay.
So eat carrots and smile . . .
12. Good for Eyes:
Another magical benefit of carrots. Carrots are rich in beta-carotene. Beta carotene protects eyes against diseases like glaucoma, macular degeneration, and senile cataracts.
Here is a myth that carrots can improve night vision also, though they are good for eyesight in general but improving night vision was a rumor created by Germans in World War 2 to mislead enemies against their powers.
Beauty Benefits of Carrots:
Here are some of the beauty benefits of carrots.
13. Benefits of Carrots for Hair:
- Drinking carrot juice promotes healthy hair growth.
- Carrots are rich in vitamins which help in hair loss reduction.
- Carrots provide your hair with essential nutrients and make them shiny, glossy and healthy.
- Vitamins C and E in carrots prevents premature graying in hair by improving circulation in the scalp.
- Carrots promote hair growth and add thickness to hair.
14. Benefits of Carrots for Skin:
- As carrots are rich in antioxidants. They help in anti-aging. It is the same benefit we have read in the previous article related to benefits of avocado for skin and hair.
- Drinking carrot juice prevents marks and blemishes on your skin. Just like we extracted benefits of almonds from crushed almonds by applying them on the face you can also use carrots directly on your skin to make your skin shiny and glowing.
- Carrots promote light and fair complexion.
- Like in avocado and cucumbers, the beta-carotene in carrots is skin friendly.it prevents your skin from damage through sun rays and reduces sun tans.
- Carrots also hydrate your skin perfectly.
15. Healing Properties of Carrots:
Yes, you have thought that this is the benefit of ginger only but nature has created many edibles with super healing qualities. You can apply carrots directly on wounds and cuts. Their anti-Inflammatory properties help in healing scars and wounds.